Friday, July 18, 2014

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

For some reason Feed Burner decided to send out a post today that I posted back in March when we had weird cold weather when it was supposed to be Spring.  Well here it is in July when our temperatures are normally 100-104 degrees and it struggled to make it to 70 today.  I am loving this Polar Vortes and the cool weather.  It is putting me in a cooking mood.  Today I made Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls.  I have had a stuffed cabbage roll recipe for years that I keep saying I am going to try and never have, but a few days ago I came across a recipe for unstuffed cabbage roll online and this is oh so easy and delicious! I'm sorry I don't remember when I saw the recipe....probably PINTEREST.


Olive Oil
Ground Beef
Chopped Onion
Minced Garlic
Chopped Cabbage
2 8oz. cans Tomato Sauce
1 12 oz. can Diced Tomatoes
1 cup water
1/2 cup long grain rice

We never buy prepared ground Hamburger meat.  We always get a boneless beef roast or boneless steak and have the butcher grind it for us.  That way we know there is no filler in it.  This time I used regular grind boneless Sirloin steaks.  I put a little olive oil in a 5 qt. pan and added the ground beef, chopped onion and minced garlic.  I don't usually measure stuff so this is all done to your taste.  Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.  I chopped about 1/3 of a large head of cabbage and added it to the pot.  Cook another 10 minutes.  Add the remaining tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water and rice, salt and pepper to taste, put the lid on the pot and cook 20 minutes until the rice is done.  Delicious and hearty plus good for you.  Enjoy with your favorite bread or crackers.