Sunday, September 21, 2014

StoveTop Corn Bread

Poppa's Aunt Toady cooked her cornbread on top of the stove.  She could flip it in the skillet with her spatula.  Ummm....I tried that one time and made a big mess so I flip mine over with the skillet. This is my recipe and I love cooking corn bread on top of the stove; it's much faster and you don't have to heat up the oven.


StoveTop Cornbread

1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
3 Tablespoons All Purpose Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Egg
2 Tablespoons Oil (vegetable, coconut, olive oil or melted butter)
3/4 Cup Buttermilk

I use an 11" slanted side non-stick skillet (T-Fal) with a lid.  Spray the skillet with cooking spray.  I put the skillet on medium heat, #5 on my electric stove, while I quickly mix up the batter.  Pour the batter into the skillet and add the lid.


Cook with the lid on until the batter no longer is shinny on the top, about 8 minutes.


Slide the cornbread out of the skillet onto a cookie sheet.  Turn the skillet down over the top of the cornbread then flip the cookie sheet so the top of the cornbread is now on the bottom and you can now brown the top.


Brown the top of the cornbread to your desired color (WITHOUT THE LID this time). Remove from the skillet and enjoy!


This freezes well if you have leftovers or you can get a head start on your holiday cooking for turkey and dressing.